Friday, September 12, 2008

Princess Academy

I'm reading a book called Princess Academy for the second time. It's about a girl, named Miri, who lives in the mountains. She is required to attend a school that gives her a chance to be a princess. The prince from the lowlands chooses one of the girls from the academy to be his bride. A lowlander is considered a higher class than the people in the mountains, so Miri is getting a once in a life opportunity but doesn't know if she really wants it of needs it.

Miri~
Miri is a fourteen year old girl who has been alone without many Friends since she was eight. She is very small and wares her long brown hair in a braid. She is Smaller than alone her age and is not aloud in the Quarry. All other kids her age get to work in the Quarry but she stays home alone and does house chores. When Miri is forced do go to the academy she doesn't like it, but when she gets there she decides she is going to be academy princess. Miri is very curious and in turn it turns all the other girls who attend the academy against her but one.

Britta~
Britta is a fifteen year old girl who was born in the lowlands. She was orphaned and her only relatives were distant cousins in the mountains. Since she now lives in the mountains on Mount Eskel she is required to attend the academy like every other mountain girl. No one likes Britta because she is quite, they believe she thinks she is to good for them. Britta is forbidden to work in the Quarry because the other people think they are ignoring them when she is not understanding what they are saying. She doesn't hear the way people communicate in the Quarry, Lowlanders, including Britta, can not here the Mountain folk's Quarry speech.

2 comments:

J. Pingrey said...

Shaila-
What great character descriptions! I have never heard of this book; how did you find it? I am also curious about the time period of the book-I will look forward to reading your next post about the setting for sure! Given my aspiration to one day be a princess (well, at least when I was little), I think I would really like reading a book like this. I am assuming you like it if you chose to read it for a second time! Great, detailed descriptions!

One thing...could you make your font size on your blog a tad bigger? My old eyes have a hard time with tiny print :) Thanks Shaila!

.:MiCH3113:. said...

WOW THAT SOUNDS LiKE A REALLY GREAT BOOK i'VE NEVER HEARD OF A BOOK LiKE THAT BEFORE...EVEN THOUGH i SOUND iNTERESTiNG iT KiND OF DOESNT SOUND LiKE A TYPE OF BOOK i WOULD READ i LiKE READiNG MORE LiKE SAD BOOKS, YOU KNOW STUFF LiKE THAT! BUT YEAH iT DOES SOUND LIKE A GOOD BOOK!
-.:MiCH3113:.